Home alarm systems: getting the most bang for your buck
In the time it takes to read this sentence, a home in South Africa has been burgled. Statistics show that the average home robbery occurs at night, the criminals come through the front door, and they use physical force where necessary. The good news is that the average criminal can’t disable a home alarm system.
Home alarm systems come in many varieties; the choices can be overwhelming as can the costs. Let’s look at some of the best tips from industry insiders to help you choose, install and get the most out of your alarm system.
- Saving money on a home alarm system: There are all kinds of surprising ways to save money on home alarms. The most significant savings can be had by getting quotes from security companies in your area. The major home alarm companies will better a quote which can save you hundreds of rands each month. For monthly savings, consider installing a solar-powered alarm system.
- There’s value in popularity: Security savvy consumers know that you get the most value for money by choosing the most popular company in your area. They are already doing patrols in your area and the more clients in an area, the more presence there will be and the faster the response time will be.
- Be aware of hidden fees: Many people are very wary of signing contracts. If you must sign one, read it through very, very carefully. Many of the long term contracts are difficult to get out of without serious expense. Make sure you aren’t going to be charged for false alarms; these costs can add up quickly and make for a nasty surprise when it’s time for your bill! Other hidden fees include; installation fees, activation fees, there may also be call out fees any time equipment is faulty. You may also be charged to remove equipment and a fee to cancel a contract should you decide to change companies at any stage.
- Supplementing home alarms with cheaper add-ons: DIY home alarm systems are a burgeoning industry for good reason. With minimal DIY skills you can fully protect your home for less. You can also spread the cost over a few months by adding sensors each month. Even if you aren’t DIY capable, you can hire a private contractor to put in a security system for far less than some of the larger companies charge. You can also supplement home security using old smart phones and a home security App; for free.
- Be wary of free installation: If a company offers free installation be aware that you will end up paying for the installation through increased monthly costs. Rather pay a bit extra up front to save on your monthly costs.
- Getting the most from your alarm system: The alarm system needs to be tested regularly. Your alarm system will also need annual maintenance checks. Check that the maintenance costs are included in your package.
If you’ve made the decision to get a home alarm system, congratulations. You’re taking steps to ensure the safety of your home and sleep just a little bit easier at night. Use some of these tips to ensure that you are getting the most value for money.